The first photo is my Grandmother Leona Curry's family. The year is 1910, and from left to right we have Lorna, Fred (great-grandfather), Floyd, Ida (great-grandmother) and my grandmother, Leona. In the front row we have Kenneth and Genevieve.
The next photo is labeled 1920, and we have from left to right Leona (my grandmother), Floyd, Genevieve, Kenneth, and Lorna. in the front row are my great-grandparents, Fred and Ida Steffen.
Fred died before I was born. I remember my great-grandmother somewhat. She sat in a chair and moved around very slowly. She had one of those old wood stoves and would always be boiling water in a kettle while adding wood to the stove. She was also very ill at the end of her life, and I remember seeing her in a nursing home.
The next photo is my grandparents, James and Leona Curry. The photo is labeled 1920. They were young and probably very much in love. Grandma was an amazing person. She was graceful, beautiful, musically gifted, intelligent and full of life. She was loving towards us, and we spent considerable time with her as children. She played the piano at the movie theater in the years when they had silent movies. She was the organist at her church for decades. I remember her dressing up with black teeth and peasant clothes, riding a float and blowing a kazoo for some local yokel parade in her small town of Adams-Friendship, Wisconsin.
The last one in this bunch is my grandfather James and my grandmother, Leona, standing in front of a house that is unknown to me. It's 1953, and they are holding my eldest cousin, Debbie Horkan. Grandpa was a conductor on the railroad. He would be gone for days at a time and then back for days at a time. I never liked it when he came back. He was strict and I thought quite mean. He slammed my fingers in the piano because it was disturbing to him. I probably was banging on it but I mean, come on. But that's how things were in the 50s. My Aunt Nancy mentions in her letter to me that she placed Grandpa's conductor uniform with the historical society in Adams and she mentions that they did display it very well. The next time I get to Wisconsin, I'll have to run up to Adams and see if it's still there.




No comments:
Post a Comment