This card was with other documents from my mother's side of the family. It was a 'Reward of Merit.' The back says 'Minnie' who would have been Edna's mother, and 'Edna'. There is something written in pencil but I can't decipher it. I'll have to get a magnifying glass to see it.
This website talks about these cards. https://ancestorville.com/blogs/articles/rewards-of-merit
"During the Victorian Era, school children were given paper ephemeral rewards for good behavior, called a Reward of Merit. The top of the card usually reads "Reward of Merit," with the well behaved students name written below, followed by the signature of the teacher who issued the reward. A family may have saved these tokens of merit and recognition throughout the years. "
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Since I was a teen, I've had a fascination with my family history. A cousin of my mother's, Elna Horan Newall, was our family'...
-
This card was with other documents from my mother's side of the family. It was a 'Reward of Merit.' The back says 'Minnie...
-
How often do you actually get to hold a piece of paper that contains the handwriting of your ancestor? It gives me goosebumps. It's a ...
-
Edna was my great-aunt on my mother's side. Many of the materials I have are because of her daughter, Elna Newell. Elna was a great fr...


No comments:
Post a Comment