Edna was my great-aunt, the sister of my grandmother, Irma McConick Nelson.
She was born in 1880, and died in 1909. This photograph is a smaller version of one that I had framed years ago and carried around with me from move to move to move until I finally gave up and let it go to one of my sisters. I'm not even sure they still have it.
The back of the photo is labeled as follows:
"This is Edna's new photo taken at the studio in Mankato, while at college Feb. 1903. To mama.
Other handwriting on the bottom of the photo says: "Edna McConick, later, Horan. Given to Elna Horan, in summer of 1923 by Grandma McConick.
I wonder if what college she may have attended and what she might have studied? There are no other records that I'm aware of or a way to easily obtain this information. Perhaps it will show up down the road.
This woman gave birth to a baby girl, and five years after she was married, she fell down the stairs in her home, broke her neck and died. What a sad ending to what seemed like a promising life.
Edna seemed to have the family gene that is missing from my grandmother. She passed things to her daughter that were important to her who in turn passed them to my mother who passed them to me. I don't like to see Edna's story end, and maybe it won't, but just due to time constraints, I feel like I need to continue the research into my direct bloodline. I like to fill in the missing pieces with these other people because they are still family, still ancestors, but focus needs to take priority over quantity.
One of the cool things about this photo is the eyes. If you cover the face right below the eyes, it's like looking into the eyes of my middle sister, Sue. It's uncanny. I find it interesting that certain features remain in families and then others are lost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Since I was a teen, I've had a fascination with my family history. A cousin of my mother's, Elna Horan Newall, was our family'...
-
This card was with other documents from my mother's side of the family. It was a 'Reward of Merit.' The back says 'Minnie...
-
How often do you actually get to hold a piece of paper that contains the handwriting of your ancestor? It gives me goosebumps. It's a ...
-
Edna was my great-aunt on my mother's side. Many of the materials I have are because of her daughter, Elna Newell. Elna was a great fr...

No comments:
Post a Comment