Sunday, October 29, 2017

A Saint Patrick's Day card and a house fire


The card is vintage.  It has a little girl dressed in the emeralds holding an umbrella and looking up with the big eyes.  It says:  "A daintier maiden never was seen, Than this dear little, sweet little, Irish Colleen.  She is making for you a courtesy so gay Because she is happy on St. Patrick's Day."  The back of the card has a postage stamp worth two cents.  It's dated Burlington Flats, New York, May 17, 1919 a.m.  It's addressed to Miss Elna Horan, Friendship, Wisconsin.  

It says:  "Dear Elna:  Hope this still finds you all well.  We are all over the flue now and hope you will not get it how is your father i am looking for  Hughs(?) people here next week it is a long way to move.  Wish you were coming.  With love from grandma."

I don't have any context for this postcard.  I am assuming it is Jim's mother since it originates in Burlington Flats, but I don't have any desire to dig into that side of the family since it's not my bloodline.  I'm trying to stay with the direct line as much as I can.  Yes, these other lines give me clues to the family of origin, so that's why I'm including these tidbits.  Perhaps future genealogists will take a different approach.




The next postcard is an extensive house fire.  The house looks like a classic design, and it's definitely not a poor person's home.  There is a buggy sitting out front and you can see the water shooting out of the hose.  There are lots of people trying to put out the blaze.

The card has a one cent stamp and is dated Burlington Flats, New York, August 23, 1909, 11 A.M.  It is addressed to James Horan, Friendship, Wisconsin.  It says:  "Friend Jim, This is a photo of our recent fire.  Was very sorry to hear of the death of Edna.  Are you going to stay where you are?  Your friend, I.D.H."  

I have no idea who this person is but he mentions the death and shares a personal photo on a postcard.  Who says there wasn't social media?  

Again, I can only surmise that Jim Horan was some person of means.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 Since I was a teen, I've had a fascination with my family history.  A cousin of my mother's, Elna Horan Newall, was our family'...