This photo was taken on the wrought-iron lined front steps of my grandparent's home in Adams-Friendship, Wisconsin. It was approximately 1959 judging from the ages of my sister, Susan, and myself. I'm in my dad's arms, and Sue is with my mother. I assume it was my grandmother taking the photo on her trusty 'Brownie' camera.
My sister is wearing her saddle shoes, very fifties. Mom has the fake pearls and cat eye glasses. She looks very June Cleaver from 'Leave It To Beaver.' Dad looks like a James Dean wannabe. I don't recall him ever being concerned about fashion or what he wore other than having to wear a tie to church.
Grandma and Grandpa Curry lived approximately 65 miles from our home in Prairie du Sac, but the trip seemed like a lifetime with two fighting girls in the backseat of the old car. We spent many weekends at our grandparents home being cared for while our parents attended various parties and social events. It's something I didn't appreciate at the time, and it's something that I realize I won't have with my granddaughters.
Grandma Curry was a joy and a beloved grandmother. She was a librarian, and we loved spending time with her at work, going through the stacks, finding the toys and play areas, meeting other children. She introduced us to table manners. We were not allowed at the table until our faces were washed, teeth were brushed, and we had to say 'please' and 'thank you'. Breakfast was usually something simple...a boiled or poached egg, toast with butter and Grandmother's regimen of vitamins.
Her musical skills were amazing. She played the piano and was the organist at her church for decades. She even played the piano for the silent movies at the local theater in Adams. It was fun to stand around after the evening meal, sometimes alone, sometimes with my mom and my sister, sometimes with other cousins, and sing the Broadway show tunes of the day.
While I don't recall the actual taking of this photo, it's interesting to me how just seeing this photo can then make things I hadn't thought about in years come up. I remember Grandma's house as it was, which is unrecognizable in the present day, the yard with the fire pit in the back, the neighbors surrounding the house, and the various places in town like Grandma's church, the library and the movie theater.
There was promise in this family. Some of it has been realized, and some of it is yet to be written. A third daughter is yet to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Since I was a teen, I've had a fascination with my family history. A cousin of my mother's, Elna Horan Newall, was our family'...
-
This card was with other documents from my mother's side of the family. It was a 'Reward of Merit.' The back says 'Minnie...
-
How often do you actually get to hold a piece of paper that contains the handwriting of your ancestor? It gives me goosebumps. It's a ...
-
Edna was my great-aunt on my mother's side. Many of the materials I have are because of her daughter, Elna Newell. Elna was a great fr...
No comments:
Post a Comment