Family lore has it that my grandmother, Irma McConnick Nelson, was a Christian Scientist. There are no identifying marks on this book, but I assume it was hers.
It's soft cover and came in a little cardboard box wrapped in a tissue paper with a mark that I've been unable to identify the meaning of.
There is gold leaf on the edges which makes it beautiful against the ox blood color of the cover.
Since it may have some limited historic value, I'm sending it to the Wisconsin Historical Society along with some other artifacts that I have no need to retain once I've catalogued them and documented them.
At this stage of my life, I'm about less is more and that includes these pieces of my family history. Digital images serve us better than the actual piece itself. The truth is, there's probably no one left in my family who cares about our history outside of myself. I just think it's important to know where you came from so you can either honor it, change it or fix it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Since I was a teen, I've had a fascination with my family history. A cousin of my mother's, Elna Horan Newall, was our family'...
-
This card was with other documents from my mother's side of the family. It was a 'Reward of Merit.' The back says 'Minnie...
-
How often do you actually get to hold a piece of paper that contains the handwriting of your ancestor? It gives me goosebumps. It's a ...
-
Edna was my great-aunt on my mother's side. Many of the materials I have are because of her daughter, Elna Newell. Elna was a great fr...
No comments:
Post a Comment