Sunday, June 25, 2017

The history of the Curry family

In my family, I was and am the genealogist.  It began with reading the book 'Roots' by Alex Haley, and sporadically, through the years, as time and money allowed, I would research.

Fortunately, a lot of information that came from my mother's side of the family was gathered by her cousin, Elna Horan.  Unfortunately, most of that information concentrated on Elna's mother's line, not my own line.

It has become even more important to me now, as the matriarch of my own family, to get as much information down as I can for the coming generations.  It's too easily lost.  I'm in possession of a bunch of photographs that may possibly be my grandfather, but with no one left to tell me that and no written information on any of these photos, they will be lost.

The other reason for starting this blog is for my beloved granddaughters.  They are currently in foster care.  The illness of their parents (I call them the lost generation) has led to their removal from the home.  It was my intention to adopt them myself, but due to court struggles, financial concerns, my age, and most of all their own well being, it was decided to leave them where they are thriving and growing and where they are loved.  We just lucked out with the most incredible foster parents in the world.  It is my sincere hope that they will be adopted by them.  If that's the case, they will take on the culture of their adoptive family.

If and when they decide to come looking for a record of where they came from originally, it will be here for them.  This is our story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Since I was a teen, I've had a fascination with my family history.  A cousin of my mother's, Elna Horan Newall, was our family'...