Sunday, June 25, 2017

Letters from my father to my mother - January 19, 1952


This letter is dated January 19, 1952, very early in the morning.  My dad was at work, at what was known then as the 'graveyard shift'.

What was happening on that day in the world?  The NFL took control of the NY Yanks.  I guess that didn't last.  The PGA approved allowing black participants.  Amidst the events of the world are the words my father wrote to my mother.  I've left them as he wrote them, punctuation and all.  My father was an educated man.  He had a bachelor's degree, but his writing left something to be desired.  I assume he was in a hurry when he was dashing off these missives to my mom.  Overall, he was generally well-spoken.

The envelope has a rose motif on the inside of it.  Roses were my mother's favorite.  I wonder if my dad already knew this and that's why he chose this particular stationary or if it was just plain dumb luck?






January 19, 1952
Very early in the morning

Dear Gloria,
How do you like my heading, I'll bet you wonder what I doing, well I'm at work just at the beginning of my lunch period, and thought I better drop you a line tonight, instead of waiting until I get home in the morning because, when I get home, I have several thing to do around the house for my mother as she is still down in bed with the flu, so I do what I can to help her out around the house until I get good and tired and then I just fall into bed.  I was thinking of you down here on the job about 3:00 Sunday night, about how you probably hated to get up to catch that early train back, I'm glad you waited until then to go back so we did have out 4 more hours together, Gloria I sure have a wonderful time when your home, I only regret that it can't be more often.

It looked now that my planned trip to Milwaukee on the 30th will reach reality, I think the man I said was gone will be back for sure by then, as I inquired about him last night and they are expecting him back next Monday, but of course I'll say more about this in my next letter.  Or maybe I'll just come anyhow.  But like I say I will write you more definitely.

Not to much exciting since you left, as you know Adams, just go to work and come home.  I did run into a politican I know who is working down here, and I didn't know he was here os now I can fill in my extra work time to do about nothing, especially the graveyard.

I've heard a lot of comment around town in th two days about how woderfuf the day was Sunday over at the church everyone seemed to enjoy it quite well.

Gloria this is an awful short letter to se nd you but there isn't too much to say for your two days absence, I'll promise to write more in the next letter, unless you want to hear me put in some beefs about my job, but I think I'll save those until a future date.  Every one is kidding me about me not going to Washington for the inauguration, I sure wish I was but I'm not.  I'll do my best to be down on the 30th.  I'll see you then.  

Yours Jim.

My dad is referring to the inauguration of Dwight D. Eisenhower.  Dad always wanted to go into politics.  He never had a clear agenda and lack of money would have made mounting a political campaign almost impossible even in those days.  He always wanted to 'be somebody', and I don't think he ever attained his goal.  His claim to fame was saying the prayer at mealtimes for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I used to get irritated because it would take so long and I was hungry and ready to eat.

Mom's notes on the letter speak to her level of organization.  She writes she received the letter on 1/21/53 and she answered right way on 1/22/1953.  She has written the name 'Helen' on the letter with what appears to be a phone number and the days of the week Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursday.  I really don't know which Helen she is referring to.  I'm assuming she must have had the letter from my father close at hand and used it to write herself a note.

It's these little things that I would like to ask her now and of course, it's too late for all of that.  It's still delightful and enlightening to read his words to her.  I don't have the letters she wrote back to him.  Maybe I'll find them someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Since I was a teen, I've had a fascination with my family history.  A cousin of my mother's, Elna Horan Newall, was our family'...